Re: static "sucker" gap / cap stress

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

There was an array for sale on ebay that had six of
them. Went for $220 ... I missed it unfortunately.
I got mine anywhere from $50 - $70 so that's
pretty typical. Consider they go retail for
several hundred dollars each.

I would be very careful using just one of these
in a 5KVA coil. I'm guessing here, that you're
using a pole pig right? You'll especially
want an array if you're using resonant charging.

Considering that in a 15Kv system the cap's
voltage is 21Kv, one or two successive misfirings
of your gap will drive the capacitor over it's 35KV
rating if you fail to have any other safety gaps.

I had one in a high power system and it overheated
and ejected it's internals out of that little
belly button above the connection disc on the side.
Since I've doubled up the voltage, it's been fine.
Hard to go wrong using 70Kv for a 21Kv peak system.

You might also want to note some values on that
spec sheet, specifically those referring to
"voltage Reversal." This cap was designed to
be a DC capacitor -- it happens to work well
for AC if you give it lots of room. (That's
500 pps DC --- AC puts significantly more
stress on anything, so it's really less for
our usages)

If you do build a box, use some springy bent
strips of flat copper to lay against the
terminal disks of the capacitor. Ie, design an
enclosure that is similar to battery packs.
(Sand the copper terminals every once in awhile
to get rid of the oxidation) I don't recommend
using the small screw hole w/ crimp lugs etc...

I like to build things into nice hardwood boxes
with routed edges and what not. I'd much rather
get hit with a splinter of wood than a chunk of
metal/hdpe/hot oil. Also your coil setup will
look like furniture if you take the time to sand
and stain it :) It won't look as scary and it'll
be safer. I guess that's the artist in me. I
design my coils to be visually pleasing when
turned off,safe and as scary as hell when turned on.

=== message truncated ===