Re: Half dead NST's

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Dwight Harm by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dwighth-at-traxsoft-dot-com>

 > 1) by 'half dead', you mean there's voltage from one output to case, but not
 > the other output?
 > 2) Has anyone on the list had much success repairing these?
 > 3) Would salvaging the wire for making tesla secondaries be practical? Any
 > idea what gauge the wire would be or how many feet they might contain?
 >
 > Dwight.

2. Yes.  Lots of data (probably in Terry's archives).

3. Not worth the bother even if you could.

	Note.  The "good half" of the transformer is still usable at the
voltage it puts out.  I've run a transformer (9 kV, 60 ma Franceformer)
like that continuously for a couple of years (in my "Skunk Zapper") with
one side "bad"; shorted the bad side to ground for safety sake..
Eventually I melted some of the tar out of the "bad" end and restored it
to all "good".

	Also, you could use two of the "half-good" transformers to emulate one
"good" one by parallel connecting the primaries in the correct phase,
depending on which half of the transformer is bad.

Ed

	Question is whether it's worth the shipping cost or whether for the
same net investment you could do something cheaper