Re: Type I PVC (Grey) for high voltage use

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/28/03 5:58:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>1.  Are the grey PVC conduit tubes okay for tesla coiling?  I ask because
>since it is grey it might have a large concentration of carbon in it which
>is conductive.  I did acquire some 16"
>grey PVC tubes (about six feet long) which I was planning on using for a
>twin coil set-up, but as I was bringing them home thought about the carbon
>aspect to it.
>
>2.  Same question for the Type I PVC (grey) which i plan on using for the
>support structure for my marx generator.  Much cheaper than acrylic or
>polycarbonate and glues nicely.
>
>Thanks
>
>The Captain

Hi captain,

I've always had good results with gray PVC, as far as dielectric
qualities go. As a matter of fact, I use a piece of 1" gray elec-
trical PVC as an insulated handle to close the "hot" switch
contacts for my 10 kv, 10 kJ cap bank for can crushing and/
or coin shrinking.

David Rieben