Re: Tuning a spark gap TC

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

Yes, we usually set the gap at around .080 to .100 inches during this tuning
with a 12 kV NST.  If you are running a lower voltage then set the gap so it
fires smoothly (rapid fire) at 30% setting on your variac.  Keep your run
times short --- usually 5-10 sec. bursts.  A segmented sparkgap attached to
the sec. coil is also a great aid for locating max. tuning points.

After all tuning is finished, then open it up so it hits Erms x 1.4 (ie,
your peak potential).  With 12 kV neons we seldom go higher than 0.200
inches max.  Extremely wide gap settings with erratic firing will usually
damage a NST even with protective circuits.

The key idea is never push a lot of power into a circuit that is not in the
best tune possible.  If you do the reflected standing waves can be very
stressful on your cap or xmfr.  You want the sec. circuit to absorb as much
power and energy as possible without reflecting it back into the pri.
circuit.  Take your time and use caution --- don't try to do it all in one
night --- even if you are excited!!

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.