Re: Other Pole Transformer suppliers . . .

Original poster: "Kevin Eldredge by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kreld-at-flash-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2003 5:44 AM
Subject: RE: Other Pole Transformer suppliers . . .

 >  >All

      I believe in any large city there are at least several possibilities
for transformers, they don't have to be "pigs"btw to get high voltage.  I
myself have bought 2 pigs from a local transformer repair shop for scrap
value (about $27.00 for two). These did need some minor repairs, but the
price was right.  I later went to the same place and was led to the owner
for my purchase, he was not so willing & ended up giving me 2 more pigs
free, but said never come back,  He was worried about liability problems I'm
sure.  Then I bought one from a junk dealer about 6 months ago.  Not too
long ago I bought a new pig from a transformer dealer for a electric
company.  Ofer them cash & state you don't need a reciept, no paper trail to
lead anyone to where you bought your goodies & no proof a company sold it to
you ending a liability problem for them.
   They are out there, be professional about what you want, tell them EXACTLY
the voltage and current you want, if not you may get run off.  Another
possibilty is having a transformer rewinder building a custom HV transformer
for you.  Richard Hull had this done some years ago.  If you need a case to
put it in, try  a local metal supply company, they usually have fabricators
there than can make you a custom sheetmetal enclosure.  Need  transformer
oil, I went to a local bulk oil company and bought a 55 gallon drum of Exxon
mineral base transformer oil for $160.00.  These were all bought as an
individual, no company was implied.

  Above all safety, have some experience in high voltage before buying big
high power transformers. Don't leave pigs in you garage or yard where anyone
can see them.  People think you stole them because normal people can't buy
these kinds of things,... they think.  Before the internet, pigs were not an
issue, only "professionals" could get them, now we have "kids" wanting pigs,
maybe something can be done to quiet the hype about pigs?

Allways safe around pigs.
Kevin E.