RE: magnetic quenching efficiency

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > won't work to quench a
 > TC gap.  The problem is that we want the gap to
 > quench at the "notches" -
 > when the energy has moved to the secondary side and
 > the tank/gap current is
 > at a minimum.

---
What "we want" is an efficient dissipation  of energy
on HV secondary terminal and efficient transfer of
energy from primary to secondary.
If these two things are correlated right , for typical
coupling ranges met in practice, requirement for first
or second notch quench isn't must for almost  optimal
performance of system-if spark lenght is what one is
looking for.
Matter of fact ,efforts in making fast quenching
possible could lead things in wrong direction (like
quenching too early,before notch,or higher dissipation
in gap due to quenching dynamic processes).

Quenching ,in theoretical sense, can happen any time
when current crosses zero in the circuit,and only when
it crosses zero (or very ,very close there in
reality).
BTW,It's not question wether we want that or not,but
laws of physics that wouldn't allow different quench
time situation.

regards,
Boris