flyback transformer HV question

Original poster: "Ryan Molecke by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ryan-at-molecke-dot-com>

Hi all,

    I've been playing with some flyback transformers, and have succeeded in
producing 1-2cm sparks from the HV output (the wire that had the suction cup
on it). I can't seem to find the HV return wire on any of my transformers
(I'll build my own soon enough), but I can generate sparks to a grounded
wire.

I'm using a simple, single transistor driving circuit on the transformer.
I'm trying to use this as a driver for a plasma globe. This HV lead does not
seem to turn lightbulbs into plasma globes. I'm just putting the HV lead
onto the baseplate of the bulb (I've also tried tying the bulb "return" to
ground). I've tried various type of bulbs. A 40W clear bulb was allowing
arcs through the glass to a grounded wire, but no streamers inside.

Does this indicate that my transformer has internal diode(s)? Am I hooking
up the bulb right? Anyone know?

Thanks!
Ryan Molecke