Re: Why does running an NST on an async gap kill it?

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

I can personally attest that the MOVs will fail if you don't set (forget)
to properly set the safety gap....

The wirewound resistors in Terry's filter design do have a fairly large
inductance.  I remember trying to measure it once (the 1kohm, 100W
Ohmites), but the RLC meter I was using had issues with the large
resistance, and wouldn't give me reliable results.

Another aspect of async gaps killing NSTs is that when used in conjunction
with near resonant sized capacitors, resonant rise can overvolt things if
the gap fails to fire due to falling on a voltage null.  I would expect a
good "Terry" style filter and LTR capacitors to significantly reduce NST
deaths from use with async gaps.

Cheers,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group