Re: Gatedrive waveforms

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

The ringing is actually caused by both the inductance of the transformer /
wire leading up to the FET along with the MOSFET gate impedance.

Typically, a small snubber network is used to suppress the ringing, however
since this ringing occurs well past the saturation point (turn-on) of the
FET, it really doesn't effect circuit operation.
However, if you're ringing extends well below say 5V, then you should be
concerned and probably need to design a simple snubber network (RC network)

But as Dan Strother stated below, you really need the FET installed (and
ideally under the nominal load conditions and voltage you are running at) to
see if the gate drive is acceptable.
Using gate capacitance alone is misleading.  You really want to use the gate
charge characteristic (which is dependent on operational frequency,
operating voltages, etc...) to model
the circuit.

Dan

 > You will not be able to accurately assess the gate drive waveforms until
 > the MOSFETs are installed. The MOSFETs' gate capacitance is the primary
 > cause of such undesirable effects.
 >

 > Dan Strother
 >

 > >Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"