Re: Ideas for burnt out secondaries

Original poster: "fleps by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <fleps-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

 >It has come to my attention that people who have a secondary that burns out
 >just throw it away. Instead of becoming a statistic reuse it (mostly for
 >smaller coils 4-6")

I'd've thought maybe it depends on how much it 'burns out'.  The odd scorch
on the windings can probably be remedied with a little TLC and several
layers of your insulating coating of choice.  A secondary with a giant
carbon track down the inside of the form probably isn't a good candidate for
reuse, it'll most likely just fail again, only sooner the second time round.

 >If one has a pole pig a large inductor is great for
 >current limiting

well yes, except your average 4-6" secondary might be wound with #22 or
something, rated for maybe 750mA (I'm guessing, can't find a wire gauge
table just now) and if you try and limit your pole pig current through it
it'll just turn into a small melty heap.

 > or even better remove the insulation for taping and build
 >a high powered variac!

again I think it'll only take fractions of an amp before getting toasted.
And I seem to remember seeing photos of a home built variac Mr Finn Hammer
put together, and it looked like there was considerably more to it than
that!

cheers anyway

Mike