RE: door knob caps

Original poster: "Dave Halliday by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dh-at-synthstuff-dot-com>

Unnnhhhh - you can mail order and product quality will be --->waay<---
better than the warehouse floor-sweepings that radio shack sells these
days.

Besides, looking at their website, they only sell Ceramic Disc
capacitors with a 2KV range.  These simply will not work.  If you buy
these for this application, you are taking dollar bills and burning
them.  No, not even that because you would get some satisfaction from
the flame.  You are wasting your money.

The reason is that the cap may be rated at 2KV but this is only one part
of the problem.  The capacitance-at-that-voltage is minimal.  It is the
capacitance that stores your energy and if you don't have any energy
storage, you are going to get a less-than-zero performance.

Check this site for a discussion on MMC - they are using them for Tesla
Coils but they are very applicable to Marx generators too:
http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/projects/MMC/

You _will_ be spending about $100 and this _is_ a good chunk of change
but, any money you spend at radio shack will be dollars pissed down the
drain so don't do that, start saving.  What you will be buying will work
perfectly and deliver good solid fat performance.