Re: Marx generators, was RE: door knob caps

Actually, there is a fair amount of info out there, it's just buried..
Lyonel Baum has a good page summarizing most of the salient details. My own
Marx page doesn't have a lot of design rationale (out of sheer laziness on
my part).

The other thing is that once you've researched it and built a couple, you
tend to figure things are obvious.  Dr. Resonance runs 60 kV in his stages
because he's got plenty of experience at that voltage level, and probably
instinctively knows by now how to build stuff that doesn't leak everywhere.
The other problem with things like Marx generators (at least on the amateur,
one-off level) is that they are big and complex enough (mechanically) that
you tend to overdesign, because it's such a pain to rebuild.  They also have
very long lifetimes.  There are lots of 50 year old Marx systems around
still chugging along happily.  Unlike a TC, where the caps get stressed
highly, in a Marx, a commercial unit might do a few shots a day on the
average (actually, probably more like a couple dozen shots in one day, then
2 weeks of setup for the next test...).  Even if your caps only had a life
of 10,000 shots, that's a lot of years of use.

High rep rate Marx's (as in radar modulators, flash X-ray, etc.) are a
different animal, and are expensive enough that the mfrs can do some
research and cut and try.

The hard part of a Marx is the spark gaps, by the way, not the caps.  They
really need to fire together to get expected performance. That means
consistent spacing, consistent voltage, and good alignment.  In many hobby
built Marxes, the charging resistors are quite large (100s of K, to several
Meg), resulting in a fairly long time constant, which means that the top
stages don't get full voltage.  Commercial Marxes, which can have fairly
high power charging supplies, tend to use fairly small charging resistors
(5-10K).  That gets the arc current (5 Amps is a good design number) in the
gaps up, which helps with consistency.