Spark gap verses streamer noise

Original poster: "Mudford, Chris" <chris.mudford-at-agresearch.co.nz>

Having replaced my 4 series copper pipe main gap for a two opposing
tungsten cutting tip gap, both with fans running through them, the noise
is absolutely ear shattering.  Yes wear ear plugs is a good suggestion,
but, this is only a 6/30 system and is meant to be a table top coil.  I
thought in previous discussions the majority of the noise came from the
gap, however, it seems to be the streamers in my case.  This is evident
in that when I put a too large top load and it goes out of tune the
spark gap is the only thing firing and it is fairly quiet.

Could there be something in my system that is out of whack and causing
it to be soooo loud?  I am getting an estimated 3-4, 9" streamers as
well as 7-8, 5" streamers.  The safety gaps aren't firing and there are
no untoward sparks anywhere else.

Cheers, Chris (NZ).