Re: Coil diameter choice criteria

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

The larger dia. you can tolerate with coupling more energy into the sec.
coil.  As Tesla noted the larger dia. can develop higher potentials as the
inductance goes up as the square of the radius of the coil.  That's one
reason he used a 52 ft. dia. sec coil in his magnifier design at Col.
Springs.

For medium size coils with 4-6 foot spark a good size is 8-12 inch range.
With 7-12 ft. spark coil dia. in the range of 16-24 inches work good.

A height/dia ratio of 4.5:1 works good.  Also, calculate you sec. winding
length to accomodate 1,400 turns of whatever gauge wire you are using.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913