Re: Toroid core material

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 02:07 PM 26/07/03 -0600, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

 >Tesla list wrote:
 >
 >You'll probably see a lot of answers before this, but anyway, the core
 >in the PS is a high saturation flux density ferrite and the core in the
 >telephone loading coil is 125 permeability molybdenum permalloy.  BUT,
 >neither is any good for the intended purpose.  You need lots and lots
 >of turns to avoid core saturation and if you don't use them you won't
 >get the desired filtering action.

<SNIP>

Hi Ed, Coilers,

My intention isn't to provide choking action at the coil's operating
frequency, but rather at the higher harmonics.  I think that for use
in that regard I'm OK.  My main gap is directly across the PDT and I
also have it bypassed with 250 pF. -at- 60KV "doorknob caps" as others
have suggested doing.  There is a horn gap style safety gap right at
the PDT's output and I've noticed a reduction in its firing since I
changed the cores.  I was getting a dozen or so random firings of
the safety gap during a minute long run of the coil, but now it's
been reduced to just a few.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle