Re: synch with a pole pig coil (again)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/29/03 8:44:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>Pigs at 120 bps like to see large-value caps and/or high charging voltages.
>For example if you charge the cap to 28kV, this will give 3763 cap-watts,
>or about 4500 VA.  Such a setup should give 9.5 foot sparks.  So I would
>say that you may be able to equal the performance of the 300 bps setup
>using your cap.
>
>Now if you use a 0.13uF cap, then the cap watts = 6115, and the
>VA would be about 7338 VA.  This should give a 12 foot spark.
>
>Cheers,
>John

John,

The 82.5 nFD, 84 kV capacitor that I was using is actually quite
versatile, as it is a High Energy unit consisting of (12) identical
27.5 nFD, 42 kV caps in a single 3" X 5" X 25" white plastic
box, with 18 extrnal terminals (12 on top, 6 on the bottom
with each of the bottom 6 going to 2 caps). Anyway, I had it
externally wired as 6 paralleled caps seriesed with another
6 paralleled caps and this gave me the 82.5 nFD -at- 84 kV rating.
I could easily remove one set of the 6 paralleled caps and
have a unit rated at 42 kV at a whopping 165 nFD and if I
changed to all 12 caps in parallel, that would be a monster-
ous 330 nFD! Of course I'm sure that this cap unit could
not handle the currents associated w/ >20 kVA. Also, I'm
just a little iffy about running a 42 kV rated commercial
pulse cap on a 14.4 kV, 10 kVA pig that can be overdri-
ven to put out 16.8 kV w/ 280 volts in from the variac.

When the cap was set up for 82.5 nFD, I could run it
at 7 to 8 kVA at > 300 bps for 3 to 4 minutes and the
external surface of the cap unit would warm to only
slightly above ambient temperature. Since the 12
caps were "6 strings of 2" the same RF currents
were going thru both sets of 6 caps so if I remove
one of the sets of 6 paralleled caps then the same
RF currents would be going thru the remaining 6
paralleled caps, only the voltage rating would be
cut in half. It's my understanding though that the RF
currents are the main cause of dielectric heating and if
I was running synch at 120 bps, that should result in
a reduction of the RF currents, assuming all other
factors remain the same. So I may try the 0.165 uFD
42 kV approach to get more energy per bang into the
primary coil :^) Any additional input from the resident
list geniuses would be much appreciated :^))

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben