Re: [tesla] Soft transformer turn on without a variac

Original poster: "Black Moon by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <black_moons-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Well, I was thinking a complex triac startup
Depends on the load, this is mainly for with a large rectifyed cap on the
output
Now, as you know, at the peak of the ac wave, theres 0 flux in the
transformer and 0 'current' (assumeing no load)
So, if we turnon during the peak, we get 0 'transformer' inrush over the
next few cycles
Unfortualy, this causes alot of cap inrush
Now, extending this, theres a point during the peak of the ac waveform when
a traic can turn off (more during the riseing edge if the transformer is
loaded) as the current reverses
So what I think, is if we turned the triac on at say 340, then off at 20,
then on at 320, then off at 40, (degrees phase... well, I guess you'd have
to devide by 2 and do the same for the other half of the ac wave but you
get my idea) we could gradualy charge the cap to limit the cap inrush, and
still have (near) no hv spikes from the transformer from disconnecting it
while theres flux in the core (the load should snub any flux in the core if
there is a load, and if not, it won't turnoff till the peak anyhow when
there is no flux)
With this soft triac turnon, the flux in the transformer would never go
over the normal conditions, and the cap inrush would probley be lower then
your TC's rms :P (and you could fully adjust the cap softstart time)
Of course, if your cap inrush isent a problem, then you can just turnon at
the peak. (Note. you'd have to find some way to keep the spark gap from
triggering while 'softstarting' the caps anyway, or softstart below the
triggering voltage, then 'jump' to full on operation)