RE: T&R Electric - No More...

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

I'd just like to throw in my 2 cents:

On 31 Jul 2003, at 18:45, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

 > Jeff,
 >
 > You really can't place all the blame on these individuals.  Its the
 > nature of the society we are growing up in.
 > Liability this, liability that, and the ease of seemingly "free" money
 > by those vultures (lawyers)  Chances are, some
 > person got seriously hurt using this equipment and his/her medical
 > insurance didn't cover the costs.  Again, the nature of
 > medical insurance in this country.  After visiting a lawyer, a lawsuit
 > may have been placed on the vendor to cover medical costs and any other
 > lawsuits the *lawyer* saw fit and voila.
 >
 > I know it is really disapointing to see this happening, but with today's
 > society and dwindling health benefits you *really*
 > can't put all the blame on the individual.  You have to put yourself
 > into that person's shoes before making any harsh judgements. Of course,
 > I have no idea what the actual circumstances are, but consider the
 > following before making judgements on others.  What if you yourself had
 > both your arms blown off by a high voltage accident and only 50% of your
 > medical coverage was covered. Suppose that 50% was $50,000 after
 > numerous operations etc...
 >
 > I know we all tend to act and be honorable when it comes to taking
 > responsibility for our own actions, but until one actually experiences
 > something terrible (i.e. bad medical mishap etc...), you really can't
 > preach how you would act under those
 > circumstances.
 >
 > Of course again, I have no idea the circumstances surrounding these
 > lawsuits.  If it *is* just a material defect complaint / lawsuit, then
 > yes, I agree with you 100%.  But if medical injury is involved, thats a
 > whole 'nother story.
 >
 > The Captain

So who is really to blame when someone injures themselves doing
something that they really don't know enough about? Perhaps there
should be a law against unqualified people coiling? In the case of
the capacitors, I don't think injury was involved (may be wrong - it
was a long time ago). The company honoured its guarantee to the
letter and replaced both of my units when one showed anomalous
behaviour. I was lucky that my transaction was completed before
someone else threatened them and I don't blame them for refusing to
sell potentially dangerous devices to Joe public. I wouldn't. Some of
the queries to this list have long made me think that some people
shouldn't be coiling.

Malcolm
<snip>