Re: An Idea! for cap

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: ashumate3-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 > I remember many years ago there was a set of books from Popular Science and
 > one of the projects was a Tesla Coil. The capacitor that had been designed
 > for that was a piece of glass with medal foil sheets on each side. You can
 > bulid yourself a custom cap.
 >
 > I don't know where you could find these books, but it seem like there where
 > about 12 volumes to the set.
 >
 > Al Shumate

	Over the years I built many glass plate capacitors for TC use, starting
about 1940 and ending about 1960.  Never had much life with them and
consider them a waste of time in the era of MMC's.

	For those interested in nostalgia I have an 0.004 ufd 15 kV mica
transmitting capacitor by Dubilier; cast aluminum case.  Label has
Bureau of Steam Engineering on it and probable date is about 1918, as
the Navy quit building spark transmitters by then.  Works quite well for
a small TC.  Also have some earlier caps which were intended for spark
transmitters but don't have them to look at.  Made in blocks of 0.001
ufd and guys could buy as many as they could afford.  Have never put
voltage to one as they look in pretty poor shape.

Ed