Re: Theoretical understanding

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 08:10 AM 12/8/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: tristan Matthews <thrawnda-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>I would like to start by thank every one for there help so far. But there
>are two critical things that I still don't understand.
>
>First of all on Richie Burnett web site, which btw was very help full, he
>talks about notches in the primary and secondary voltages wave forms where
>all of the energy is transferred from one to the other. In my mind it
>seems that as a current is induced in the secondary by the primary it
>would then begin trying to induce a current back in the primary. So that
>it would be losing energy at the same time that it was gaining it.

Precisely, and, because the primary and secondary are tuned to slightly
different frequencies, the process is not perfectly even, but beats back
and forth, creating the "notches"

Best mechanical example....   Take a piece of string about as long as your
arm and string it between the backs of two chairs (or other similar
supports).  Construct two pendulums with string and a small weight (like a
washer)about 2ft (60cm) long.  Hang the two pendulums from the string
between the chairs, about a foot (30cm) apart.  Start one swinging (but not
the other).  Watch...

The energy stored in one pendulmn will transfer to the other and then back,
periodically.

(unless you were really exact and managed to make each pendulmn precisely
the same, and the connections were perfectly symmetrical, etc....)