RE: Theoretical understanding

Original poster: Harvey Norris <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Godfrey Loudner" <ggreen-at-gwtc-dot-net>
 >

 > Hello Ralph
 >
 > You can find the stuff in "Introduction to
 > Theoretical Mechanics, Robert
 > Becker, McGraw-Hill, 1954". Always go the old
 > classics in matters of
 > classical physics. The new books are nice, but they
 > don't treat classical
 > topics in great depth and are not comprehensive.
 > They are like the soup
 > before the main meal, but the main meal is never
 > served.
 >
 > Godfrey Loudner
In the booklet by George Trinkaus caled "Radio Tesla"
he states the equation for a coils inductance as the
familiar L= (N*A)^2/[9A+10B]; but then he notes that A
is the length of the winding, and B is the diameter,
both in inches.

This bugged me because it didnt sound right, and I
distinctly remebered using that equation where B
instead was the height parameter. So I started going
through all my physics and related books to find the
correct answer.  Would you beleive none of these books
had that elementary definition? I ended up finally
finding it in the trusty Pocket Ref Manual by Thomas
Glover, which has already come in handy for a myriad
of other uses, such as finding winds/per inch for wire
gauges ect... I never thought at the time to look
under the Pupman main page, which obviously would also
have had the definition. But we'd be surprised how the
larger texts often omit what some consider to be
essential building information.

Sincerely HDN