From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 8:45 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Water absorbtion of Gray PVC

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

Mr. Parisse,

You are missing the point.  The point that I have been trying to make, is
that a beginner tesla coiler does not need to pre-treat his/her secondary
prior to
winding.  Beginning tesla coilers are going to build small tesla coils
probably on the order of less than 1kW.  They are not going to be building
large 10kW+ tesla
coils which, yes, do run at voltages and power levels that the hydroscopic
effects of PVC would become clearly evident.  However, PVC and similar
hydroscopic secondaries
used in low power tesla systems will rarely see the strain on them to induce
hydroscopic-induced failures.

You are no doubt an expert in your field with more experience than most
tesla coilers will ever have.  But the fact is, just because something is
necessary for high power
tesla coils, DOES NOT mean it is necessary for low power tesla coils.

I personally would follow advice from a local automotive dealer's mechanic
regarding my car than to follow the advice from a mechanic who has only
been working on high performance race cars for a living.

I can probably be assured that Joe Shmoe of the local model airplane club
would do better in a model airplane building contest, than someone who
designs and builds
commercial airliners for a living.

Think what you may about Jeff's writings.  If you are building a large high
power tesla coil, learn as much as you can from him as his advice is very
valuable.  If you are a beginner building
your first tesla coil, don't be discouraged by all these fancy construction
methods etc.... Just wind your coil and be happy!