RE: Magnifier vs. Pi Network Tesla Coil - ***What are advantages***

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

 > A transformerless Tesla coil. Equivalent to a Tesla coil too, but
 > the voltage gain is tied to the number of cycles required for complete
 > energy transfer. With a transformer in the circuit you have an
 > extra degree of freedom that allows designs with any relation between
 > gain and number of cycles for complete energy transfer.
 > See:
 > http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/mres4.html
 > See also the mrn4 program at:
 > http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs.
 >
 >  > As I stated before, I'm trying to find out what advantages
 > if any either
 >  > one of these have in respect to the other.  At
 >  > least in simulations, I can get equal performance in both.
 >  However, in
 >  > practicality, there may be some things i'm
 >  > missing.
 >
 > The directly coupled system is easier to design and build, but when
 > you try to obtain significant voltage gain the limitation becomes
 > apparent.
 >
 > Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

What exactly is the cause for this limitation.  Simulation-wise, each
model shows similar results. Is the
limitation one of physicality, and only apparent upon actually building
these things, or can be easily picked up
in a simulation.  I think i might be missing something.

Thanks
Dan