Re: Breakdown voltages of toroids

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>
 >
 > Antonio,
 >
 > I have the tooling for a 160mm by 600mm toroid, and consider having made
 > the accompanying half sphere, for a Van der Graff terminal.
 > I now know that it will be able to supress breakdown at voltages below
 > 31*8*2.19=543kV. That is pretty nice to know.

For better precision, since the 7.5x2 toroid is missing in my table,
it's possible to interpolate. Anyway, the exact number would be 509.1
kV.
I can simulate also a half-toroid covered by a half-sphere. The
composition would hold 593 kV.

If you want to see, the Inca program (I will change this name, since
there are other programs with this name around) is at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs.
In the "general case with axial symmetry" capacitance calculation,
the description for the toroid with a round cap would be:
C vdg 80 0.22 0 0.08 180 360
C vdg 60 0 0 0.3 0 90

 > You earned your laurels a long time ago, and you add guilding to them by
 > your work. I feel honoured to be on this list with you.

Thank you. This list is very stimulating.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz