Re: Alternate toroid shapes

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

 > Has anyone done any experimentation into toroid topload shapes other than
 > the typical round designs that all use?  Visualize a cross section of the
 > minor diameter that is tear drop shaped as opposed to perfectly round, with
 > the point of the tear drop facing out.  Are there any inherent advantages to
 > a shape such as this, and if so, is the reason no one utilizes such a shape
 > because of construction difficulties?  I couldn't find any reference to
 > toroid designs other than the standard in the archives, and was hoping that
 > someone could enlighten me.

Your idea would result in in about the same capacitance of a toroid,
but smaller breakdown voltage. Maybe good to produce streamers all
around the toroid. The construction of this shape would be more
difficult
than the construction of a regular toroid (maybe not so if it is made by
metal spinning). A possible alternative would be to attach a thin toroid
as a ring around the main toroid. Another, possibly not difficult with
those toroids made of flexible tubing, would be to make an elliptic
toroid.
Electric field simulations:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs/toroid.jpg
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs/double.jpg