An enhanced toroid shape?

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Antonio, all

This wonderfull tool allows me to entertain a favourite pet therory of
mine: that it might be beneficial to flatten the outside curve of a toroid
slightly, and thus get a higher breakdown voltage than that offered by a
stock round sectioned toroid. This flattening of the outside curve would
inevitably lead to a sharper curve at the top and bottom of the shallow
curve, where it curves back into the center of the toroid. If the outside
is a total flat, this transition would be a shatp corner, and obviously,
this wouldn`t be any good. But somewhere inbetween that, and the circular
shape, I had a notion that the shielding effect of the major diametre might
allow some flattening of the minor diametre to totally allow a slightly
higher breakdowh voltage. And also deliver the shoulder to push the field a
bit longer out, to deliver longer arcs.
Anyway, I drew up a toroid with these coordinates in the INCA program:,

* Fancy toroid

Lcenter terminal 15 0 1.5 0.14 1.5
Cedge1 terminal 25 0.22 1.50 0.08 90 180
Cedge2 terminal 25 0.22 1.50 0.08 90 270
Eedge terminal 50 0.22 1.5 0.068 0.08 -90 90

In the last line,"Eedge" it is the value 0.068 that determines the
curvature of the outside face of the toroid.
0.08 is equal to a normal circular toroid, 0 would be a stright line,
creating a cylinder.
I ran the simulator against a series of values, and got these results.
0.08    509kV
0.075   513kV
0.07    518kV
0.068   519kV
0.065   517kV
0.06    506kV

Not a dramatic difference, by any means, but at least an indication of a
possible way to follow, and at least the borders of flattening of the
outside curve has been established.

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/fancytoroid.jpeg

Cheers, Finn Hammer