Re: First Light but I have a Problem

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Emmett,

Congratulations with the MMC!

For the arcing problem, I would first check to make sure there are no
protrusions in the area. Possibly the al tape isn't quite flat? I assume
the center plywood is covered. If not, it should be.

Another possibility is the field strength at the top of the coil has
reached breakout potential. This being the case, I would expect the arc to
come off the very edge of the top winding and probably strike the toroid.
The fix here is to lower the toroid an inch or two which will reduce the
stress at the top of the winding (shielding).

Take care,
Bart