Re: Warm up time on old capacitor checker

Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

He Ed and All,

The model is an old IT-28.  There are three choices for caps:  electrolytic,
min'lytic (?), and paper-mica-etc.  I was using the .01 range.  There is a
switch for bridge, leakage, and discharge.  There is also a power factor
dial, as well as a 0-600 voltage knob.  I was spinning and flicking
everything like the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz, and didn't get a whole lot
to happen.  I did have it set on bridge, and I tried all three capacitor
switch positions.  The switch marked generator has two positions, internal
and external.  I tried both, but I don't know what it should be set on.  I
checked BAMA  (Boat Anchor Manuals Association) for an online manual, but
their server has problems.  Used or photocopied ones are about fifteen
bucks, exceeding the cost of this thing by a factor of thirty.  Not gonna
happen.  Am I using this thing wrong, or is it new tube time?

Thanks,
John Richardson

electrolytic, and misc.  I tried all of them.  I had the