Re: Safety of Running Coil in Garage

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > If you are only running 15kV/60mA you should have no problem whatsoever in
 > your garage.  Just make sure you ground your secondary from an outside
 > ground (a 6ft. rod hammered in the ground will work well).  Just don't
 > connect the RF ground of your secondary to your house ground.  If you had
 > only a 4kV/20mA coil, this would be fine, but at about 1kW with your
 > 15kV/60mA you really need a dedicated ground.
 >
 > If I remember correctly, Ed Wingate once told me he first ran his huge
 > magnifier coil in his basement before he built his outbuilding and that
 > streamers were going up from the basement
 > to the first floor!!!
 >
 > Dan
 >
 >  Dan,

Actually, it was my 18" classic coil that I ran in the basement. It was
producing 7 foot sparks and
some of the streamers were indeed penetrating the first floor right in
front of the component stereo
system, which by the way, suffered no ill effects! I would not recommend
that anyone try to
duplicate my actions.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who took the time
to drop Harry Goldman a
card on his 80th birthday and thank Chip and Terry for posting the notice
to the TML.

Ed Wingate RATCB