Re: X10 stuff Re: Safety of Running Coil in Garage

Some X10 stuff, particularly the less expensive end of the line, is
notoriously sensitive to RFI and transients, as well as aging and heat.  As
you move up from the $10 switches and modules towards the $30 units, the
performance and reliability increases.

Essentially these units couple a 120 kHz, low level RF voltages ridin on the
AC line through a capacitor to a sensistive receiver, and then to a PIC type
decoder.  The selectivity of the receiver isn't all that great (particularly
for lower cost units), so a TC running in the general frequency range is
likely to couple significant power into the receiver.