RE: Arc Welders

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

They are used as current limiting ballasts, primarily with large pole
transformer powered tesla coils.

You basically short the arc welders output wires together, and run the input
240VAC to your pole transformer in
series with the input of the arc welder.  You then can basically control the
current going to your pole transformer.
It will NOT work like a variac.

Dan

I think I remember hearing people talk about using an arc welder for a
variac? I could be way off here, but anyways, if that's right, does it have
to work, and did you just get them from junk yards?

CJ