turn counters was Re: Sewing machine motor

A couple of thoughts:
1) There are cheap counters made for odometers on bicycles. Consumer
products, etc.
2) Why would you want to count the number of turns, other than for academic
interest? In general, once you've decided on a size of wire and
corresponding winding pitch, the length of the winding will tell you the
number of turns to within a few percent.  More to the point, I suspect that
the inductance of the coil won't change very much if the number of turns is
say, 5% different.

Wheeler formula is r^2 *N^2/(9*r + 10*l).. yes, there's a N^2 dependency,
but, say you've got 1000 turns instead of the 1050 you planned on: a 5%
error in the number of turns (but radius and length stay the same)... The
inductance will be off by 10 percent...an amount easily accomodated in the
tuning process.

Of course, having a turns counter makes it easy to calibrate your TPI on
the first couple inches, before you fininsh winding all 60" of the coil, or
whatever.