Re: Potential Transformer Questions???

Original poster: "Richard W. by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <potluck-at-xmission-dot-com>

Hi Dan,

You could use some measurements to figure something close without powering
up. Measure the center leg to get the cross-section in square inches. Call
this CS. Measure the primary and secondary wire sizes to get Circular Mils
or CM.

Get the VA rating for the core by:
VA = (CS / .16)^2

I divide the wire CMs by 1000 for continuous duty and by 750 for shorter
periods of operation, around a minute or two. This gives current carrying
capability for primary and secondary. A MOT's output is in the neighborhood
of about 2000 volts while the input is around 120 volts.

Primary current = CM/1000 (continuous) or CM/750 (peak or surge current)
Primary VA = 120 * the result found above.
Do the secondary the same way.

Whichever VA rating is lowest (core, primary, secondary) is the one I'd use
for the ballpark calculations.
After settling on a VA rating then the currents can be estimated.

The above doesn't take into consideration the shunts used in the MOT. But at
least you'll have a safe figure to start with. I think you'll find that with
most MOTs the VA for the core is lower than the VA that either the primary
or secondary can handle.

Rick W.