Re: My first ARSG, or a Dangerous Design? Terry Blake speaks

Original poster: "Terry Blake by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tb3-at-att-dot-net>

Who could argue with safety.  An enclosure of some type (plywood) is a "must
have", to block the arcs' UV and to stop flying shrapnel.  Heck, something
could fall on the spinning rotor and cause all hell to break lose.  DO NOT
RUN WITHOUT ONE.

But just how big a deal is the friction fit?  Let us not fear the unknown,
but embrace it.

Let's do some calculating based on a 5/32" x 7" Tungsten rod.
   D = 5/32 * 2.54 = 0.40 cm
   L = 7 * 2.54 = 17.80 cm

Mass of the 5/32" x 7" Tungsten rod:
   Tungsten density: 19.35 g/cc
   Volume of a cylinder: Pi * r^2 * h = Pi * (0.2)^2 * 17.80 = 2.24 cc
   M = 19.35 g/cc * 2.24 cc = 43.25 g

Velocity at the end of the rod at 7500 RPM (1000 BPS on my ARSG)
   Circumference = Pi * D = 3.14 * 17.80 cm = 55.89 cm
   V = 7500 RPM / 60 * 55.89 cm = 6986 cm / S = 7 m / S

Now we have some numbers to work with.
D = 0.0004 M (diameter)
R = 0.0002 M (radius)
L = 0.0180 M (length)
M = 0.043 Kg (mass)
V = 7 M / S      (velocity)

Suppose the rod was slid off center by 0.5 cm (which is huge), there would
be an extra 1 cm of mass on one side and not the other.

M (1 cm) = 43.25 g / 17.80 = 2.43 g = 0.0024 Kg

The centrifugal force pulling on the rod would be
F= MA = MV^2/R = 0.0024 Kg * (7 M/S)^2 / 0.018 M = 6.6 N (Newtons)

1 lb = 4.448 N

Soooo, 6.6 / 4.448 = 1.48 pounds of force pulling on the rod.

Sounds like a lot, but when I go check one of my rotors, I find that I have
push on it with over 20 pounds of force (using my bathroom scale), to get
the
rod to move.  So my safety margin in that situation is about 20 / 1.5 = 13
factors, or 1300 %.

So what about a more likely scenario.  The rod is off-center by 1 mm, there
would be an extra 2mm of mass on one side and not the other.

M (2mm) = 0.2 * 43.25 g / 17.80 = 2.43 g = 0.00048 Kg

The centrifugal force pulling on the rod would be
F= MA = MV^2/R = 0.00048 Kg * (7 M/S)^2 / 0.018 M = 1.3 N (Newtons)
Soooo, 1.3 / 4.448 = 0.3 pounds of force pulling on the rod.
My safety margin in that situation is about 20 / 0.3 = 67 factors or 6700%.

What if we only spin around at 3750 RPM (500 BPS on my ARSG)
F= MA = MV^2/R = 0.00048 Kg * (3.5 M/S)^2 / 0.018 M = .33 N (Newtons)
Soooo, .33 / 4.448 = 0.073 pounds of force pulling on the rod.
My safety margin in that situation is about 20 / 0.073 = 274 factors or
27,400%.

It looks pretty safe to me, but could someone check my math, to see what I
messed up on.

I cannot address the plastic cold-flow issue, but to say that the rotor I
just checked (with the 20 pounds of grip), was assembled 9 months ago.

As far as heat isues, my rotors have been checked numerous time after TC
runs and were found to have cool rods near the center.

If you are overly concerned, I would suggest scraping up the rod (with
sandpaper) and putting a dab of epoxy on either side of the rotor (next to
the poly) to hold the rod in place.  That should be helpful.

Terry Blake
Coiling in Chicago.