opening spark gap and racing sparks

Original poster: "Justin Wright by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <justin-at-tracesofnut-dot-com>

Hello All,

I tried increasing the spark gap on my coil a bit (415kv 150ma) and noticed
a single spark that started near (or above) the top of the windings and
wend down the surface of the secondary for about 12 inches.  It only
happened once and I turned the coil off immediately.

I wound the gap back in and it didnt happen again.

Is there an obvious relationship between the gap size and racing sparks (is
this the correct term?).  I forgot to notice what my safety gap was doing
at the time.

My toroid (6x 18) is about 3 or 4 above the top of the sec winding.  I will
measure everything tonight.

Regards

Justin.