topload questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Beans45601-at-aol-dot-com>

I was looking around at some of the really big coils and i noticed that for
their top loads, they were just using chicken wire on the outside of a
wooden frame. since the chicken wire is mostly holes, woulden't a big peice
of chicken wire have the same capicatance as a smallish top toroid? My
thinking is that the capicatance is caculated by the surface area, and it
seems to me that they would need to have a HUGE top load (made of chicken
wire) to equal that of a small "regular" top load. Also, say you had a
medium coil that with a medium top load threw, 5' sparks. Then, you added
100 turnes to the same pricary coil and put a metal trash can (or person,
or any large object) on the top of the secondary, could you tune the coil
again, so that you would get 5' sparks from the big object on top? or would
you have to get a much more powerful coil?
Thanks
Adam