Re: Energy storage in primary?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Jolyon,

In theory, yes. However, in practice, it's difficult to find an "opening
switch" that can handle high current and then quickly be able to withstand
the subsequent high voltage developed across the inductor. Some pulsed
power systems have been successfully designed to use energy initially
stored in inductors (quite desirable, since inductors can store
significantly more energy in a smaller volume than HV capacitors). However,
opening switches for these systems tend to be "single shot" devices
(exploding wire, exploding foil, or using high explosives to destroy the
conductor). Closing switches (spark gaps, thyratrons, SCR's, ignitrons) are
much easier to find and use, especially for repetitive operation, hence
their greater popularity.

Pulsed inductive energy storage can easily be scaled down to make it
repetitively usable. For example, older "point and condenser" ignition
systems stored energy in the ignition coil primary, releasing it by
suddenly disrupting the current supply when the points opened, and then
"ringing" it with the condenser that was across the points. Magnetos on
small engines operate in similar fashion.

So, in principle, a small classical air core TC using inductive energy
storage should also be feasible by using the primary of your TC as the
energy storage inductor and connecting your tank cap directly across it or
across your opening switch. A high current low voltage source would be
briefly connected through the TC primary through a semiconductor switch,
charging the primary inductor. Assuming the switch can then be quickly
turned off, most of the inductor's stored energy (bang size = 0.5*Lp*Ip^2)
would oscillate in the primary tank circuit to be transferred to the secondary.

No to your question: To obtain a 6" spark, we could figure that we'd need
at least 50 watts of input power at 120 BPS (predicted via John Freau's
spark length estimator for a 12" spark in an efficient system). This
implies a bang size of about 0.42 Joules. The semiconductor switch we use
must be able to withstand the initial current and also the peak voltage
developed across the inductor. It must also be able to switch off rapidly
enough (this may be tough if the device is heavily saturated). Assuming a
tank inductance L and primary capacitor C, the peak voltage developed once
the switch opens will be V = Io(sqrt(L/C). Let's plug in some numbers for a
small system:

Let:
     L  = 50 uH
     C  = 0.2 uF
     Then Fo = 50.3 kHz
     Desired Bang size = 0.42 Joules
     Required Ip  ~ 130 Amps
     Vmax = 2055 volts... a bit on the high side

Increasing C decreases Vmax, but this also decreases Fo. Going to a 0.5 uF
tank cap reduces Vmax to about 1300 volts and drops Fo to about 1300 volts
- not an unreasonable value. Either an IGBT or MOSFET switch could work,
but the challenge will be turning it off quickly enough so that most of the
energy remains in the LC circuit.

BTW, one other problem with this configuration is that, once oscillating,
there is no simple way to "quench" the primary circuit, and energy will
cycle back and forth between the TC primary and secondary. A more
sophisticated switching arrangement, using another switch, would be
necessary to "break" the primary LC circuit for proper quenching.

Building a coil that operated in this mode would be a good demonstration
vehicle, but its unlikely that it would be nearly as efficient as a more
conventional disruptive coil.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--