Surge impedance Was: Practical limit to number of turns on primary ? ? ?

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classictesla-at-netzero-dot-com>

Hi Emil,

It's the characteristic impedance of the tank, or tank impedance.
Increasing L increases the tank impedance changing the ratio of current to
voltage by sqrt(L/C). If we increase L, impedance goes up effecting
voltage, current, Q, losses, etc. For any given coil and input, as we
increase tank impedance, I would expect there to be a point where tank
impedance is too high and voltage suffers, but I'm not aware of an in-depth
study and conclusion regarding tank impedance and performance.

Marc Metlicka's coil recently mentioned does have a high tank impedance,
but he is also running high cap volts, and his secondary is suited to the
task. The results are very impressive. However, his coil efficiency may
suffer at lower cap volts due to the higher tank impedance (hypothetically,
I haven't asked him).

Take care,
Bart