Re: ...sounds totally newbie, but...

Hi C.L.,

Without the secondary in place, the gap dissipates almost all the power as
heat.  The primary current is also maybe 2X higher.  That is "maybe" ok,
but just be aware of it.

Operating without the spark gap with resonant sized caps is a sure killer
of NST or caps.  But having the spark gap in circuit should protect in that
case since the gap will keep the voltage from going too high.

Cheers,

         Terry