Re: radio shack sale items of interest..

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Jim L, All

We tried the "Kill-a-Watt" wattmeter at work doing exporatory measurements
of laboratory instrumentation, etc.  It appears to work very well, accuracy is
better then +/-5%.  IDK how robust for monitoring power in an operating
system, but for helping optimize PFC, and monitoring linear loads around the
house should work great, and can't beat the price.  If it had a RS232 interface
to printer port of PC, would be a "dynomite" whiz bang.  I guess need to
"spend your money...and take's your chances" and get one and see if it would
work / survive monitoring a 1kW SG TC unit and give meaningful data...

Amazing how much power is toasted in your house by "wall-warts", daily...

<<SNIP>>
On page 30, the Kill-A-Watt, #63-1152 appears to be an electronic watt
meter for $30 up to 1875W.  Now you can figure out those PFC values
empirically.  Might even be modifiable with an external current transformer
for higher powers?
It is a sealed unit, I don't think you could easily bust into the controls.

Regards

Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA