Re: HV Measurement - Back to Basics

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Matthew,
The most important feature of the meter is its full scale current rating --
probably 500 uA, as indicated.  You could verify this with a simple circuit
of a 9 volt transistor battery in series with a common 22 K ohm (red - red
- orange ) resistor -- should give a scale reading of about 12.2 kV on your
meter, for a current of 409 mA, approximately.

The 100 volt rating on the meter is really irrelevant if it is a true
microammeter, as it is only the current flowing through it that determines
the full scale deflection.  If anything, the 100 V rating might refer to
the maximum terminal to case voltage allowed, probably not a problem if you
will be running it with one end grounded.

The magnet symbol probably represents a schematic of a moving coil meter --
no big surprise, as they are probably the most common type out there. The
other symbols don't correspond to anything I'm familiar with -- probably
inspection, certification or acceptance stamps.

You are right on the resistance value and power dissipation of your divider
string -- it will get warm.  In reality, this is probably not the best
meter for this sort of application as its current sensitivity is relatively
poor.  It's not hard to find meters with 50 or 100 microamp full scale
movements at hamfests or on eBay.  These would dissipate only 0.75 watts,
or 1.5 watts, respectively, in their dropping circuits.  Of course, with a
MOT supply, you aren't going to miss an extra 7 watts anyway.  You would
just have to use a dropping resistor, or series combination of smaller
value resistors whose total power dissipation is more like 20 or 40 watts,
so that heating will not dramatically affect the resistance of the
chain.  30 seriesed 1 megohm 1 watt resistors would do the job
inexpensively, and you could substitute a 1 meg trimmer pot for one of the
resistors if you really want to tweak the circuit for maximum
accuracy.  Just be sure to adjust it very carefully with a well insulated
tool, and make it the resistor closest to the meter, and hence, ground.  Of
course, I am assuming that you are measuring a DC voltage.  If you are
measuring unrectified AC MOT output, you will have to add a precision
rectifier circuit, a much more complicated issue.

HTH,
Dave