Re: Coating Secondary with Epoxy

Original poster: "Vince Duperron by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vince-at-charter-dot-net>

 > Last Thursday I coated a 10-inch secondary with Ultra Glo, an epoxy sold by
 > Tap Plastics, and Friday I applied a complete second coat to cover several
 > areas that came out a little thin.  Now, 48 hours later, I've still have
 > several small areas which are tacky to the touch.  The product literature
 > claims a complete cure after 24 hours at room temperature so I suspect that
 > this stuff has cured as much as it's going to cure.  Any ideas on causes
 > and treatment?

Insufficient mixing, or improper proportions are frequent causes of
epoxy not curing.  Contaminants can also cause failure to
cure.  Given the spotty nature of the problem it is probably
caused by not enough mixing or contamination.  The epoxy itself
can be the cause of the contamination, in the form of a cloudy
material on the surface (amine blush).

Can you remove the soft spots and re-apply epoxy?  If so
this is the approach I would take.

Vince