RE: Best location for spark gap

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 06:08 PM 06/01/03 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

 >If I may be the devil's advocate for a moment...
 >
 >I fully agree that when using NST's, having the gap across the power
supply >lowers the high frequency stresses applied to the NST.

 >But when using a power supply that is not current limited - a distribution
 >or potential transformer, I wonder if the placement of the gap affects the
 >ballasting requirements?  I've never used such a power supply.  Has anyone
 >who has tried it both ways?
 >
 >Regards, Gary Lau
 >MA, USA

Hi Gary, Coilers,

You bring up an interesting point.  If it ever gets above freezing out in
my shop, I'll have to try the two different hookups of my PDT and see if
I notice any changes in behavior.  Like you, I'd be interested in hearing
from others about this.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+