RE: more newbie questions

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Wrong Matt.  The amount of garbage kicked back into a household system when
running a low power
tesla coil (<200 watts) is almost negligible.  I have measured this
extensively using both spectrum analyzers
and an Yasakawa Power Analyzer.  In fact, there is MUCH MORE noise
introduced to your line power / ground when using
an electrical drill or power saw.

I have my 200W, 4kV tesla coil on my desk at work and run it almost daily on
the same outlet that my SuperSPARC Unix
computer and PC computer are plugged into.  No problems.

Of course, don't let the streamers strike any sensitive electrical items.

And of course when it comes to higher power tesla coils, you should have a
dedicated ground system.

Dan

Hi Matt,
Some folks define as perfectly acceptable practice, anything you can get
away with without catastrophic failure. At your power level, you CAN
probably get away with it. IMO It is a BAD practice which gets
exponentially more risky as the power level goes up. If you toast one
appliance in the house, whose hobby will be curtailed? (hint: not the
advice-givers)

Matt D.