Re: Capacitor size with ARSG

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Dan,

A resonant sized cap would be .037uF. Your transformer would have no
problem running twice this size. So you could run LTR say at .06uF at
120bps. This is actually a good all around sized transformer for coiling.
Your window for STR through LTR is ideal given typical coil sizes.

For myself, the main limiting factor is the power I'm dumping on the coil.
In order to keep the energy to a usable safe level for the coil it's
driving, my cap size is STR with my pole pig. If had your transformer, I'd
be LTR with the same cap size being used (tonight). The physical coil size
is partly the limiting factor for energy in the form of watt-seconds along
with the charging components. How big your coil is will help determine how
much power it can safely handle. Then, you can begin determining maximum
cap size you might want to throw at it (and minimum).

Take care,
Bart