Re: scopes and measurements

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

 > Hi Antonio,
 >
 > The pic of your waveform, is not as clear as mine.  I have played with the
 > adjustments, and i have managed to clear things up a bit.  I posted that as
 > well, but it didnt make it:(.  I tried changing the coupling on my miniTC.
 > At 1" below the primary, i had 3rd notch, at .5" above, it would swing
 > between 1st and second notch, then at 1" above, it was a constant 1st
 > notch!  This of course was with a VERY small gap setting, so i didnt want
 > to coil killing me with ozone as i play with the scope:).  I was really
 > surprised to that the lower coupling as it seems was transferring energy
 > faster.  Why does this happen?  I didnt note any better performance with
 > the various couplings that i tried, though the scope did;).  Not sure what
 > to make of it, maybe i can beat my 13" mark with the 4kv 38ma NST :)

Lower coupling really tends to produce first notch quenching, since it
causes longer notches in the primary energy, or simply because when
the time of the first notch arrives, most of the energy was already
dissipated. Mistuning can easily cause quenching at other than the first
notch, since it reduces the depth of the primary energy notches.
It also changes the secondary voltage waveform, that starts to show
faster beats, giving the impression that the energy transfer is taking
less time. With the correct tuning, the observed energy transfer takes
a maximum number of cycles, for a given coupling.
Post again your waveforms. I didn't see them.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz