Re: dynamic power changing on TC

Well.. it wouldn't be a good idea if you were trying to optimize output.
But here, the idea is to restrict the output of the coil, and degrading the
performance is exactly what you want.  The real question is whether it
would produce a useful effect, and how many steps and how much dynamic
range could you get.

The ideal would be something that could ramp 0-100% in steps of, say, 1%

Maybe a better solution would be a "staccato" mode tube coil and modulating
the tube?  For a given DC power input, can a modulated tube coil produce
spark effects identical (or very similar to) a conventional
sparkgap/disruptive coil?

Does the damped sinusoid waveform of the disruptive coil lead to
"interesting" sparks?

This might be more of a tube power amplifier driving the coil, rather than
a standalone oscillator, since the classic oscillator type circuits have a
"startup ramp" as the voltage in the tank builds up.  And, it would need to
be quite beefy.. we're talking about a tube amp that puts out a power
comparable to that in disruptive coil.  One might be able to duplicate the
waveform by making the plate supply fed from a capacitor that holds one
"bang" worth of energy and letting it droop during the pulse.

Let's see.. to duplicate the power handling of a 10 kW pig coil, you'd need
a 10 kW class power tube, and, in the classic disruptive coil, the peak
powers are a lot higher, because, while the average power may be 10 kW, the
duty cycle is low. If you assume a Q=10 and fres=100 kHz this looks like a
50-100 microsecond pulse. At, say 200 bangs/second (i.e. about 5
milliseconds between bangs, the duty cycle is around 1%, so the peak power
is on the order of a megawatt.....

That's starting to look like a radar modulator tube (and a good reason why
spark gaps aren't such a bad design alternative!)