Re: Relay Problem - Chattering

Original poster: "Daniel Hess by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhess1-at-us.ibm-dot-com>

In the control circuit Dan supplied, one of the contact paths of the relay
supplies current to the relay coil after the momentary button is released.
The flexible conductor which connects from the relay armature to it's lug
or terminal might be suspect as might be the solder joints that attach this
wire at either end. Also could be loose or severely pitted contacts (high
resistance).

I would remove the relay from its circuit then connect an ohm meter to both
sides of this path while holding the relay in the closed (energized)
position. Gently wiggle the flexible conductor and/or tap the relay on the
bench while observing the meter; it should not flinch. I prefer an analog
over a digital meter for this test. You should observe zero ohms at all
times. If the contacts are pitted, dirty try cleaning them.

Might also try the above on the relay coil too. It's resistance will not be
zero but it should remain consistent.

I'm assuming that this component is a true relay rather than a contactor
but the above tests should hold true for the same except that a contactor
will have a brass or copper bridge between the contacts rather that a
flexible conductor. Still, look for anything physically amiss; broken,
bent, cracked, pitted and so on.

There's always a chance that the control power supply is corrupt and the
relay is getting a bad rap!

Daniel

"Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 01/15/2003 07:32:53 PM