833A problem resolved, and others to be solved

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Ok,

I had this problem with my dual 833A tube coil, where one tube got red, and
the other didnt.  So i made a tapped grid coil, this worked great.  Each
tube got a spread out redness on the plate at about the same power input
(very, very close).

NEW PROBLEM!

I now (now that i can crank her up) get a spark that jumps down from about
4/5ths of the secondary coil, to the grid coil.  Thats not good!  I have a
thick rubber insulation sheet wraped around (loosely) the secondary to
insulate it from the primary and grid coils(or rather them from it).  But
it still managed to arc about 9" over a rubber surface!  Of course the coil
was making some serious 20-22" sparks.  John Freau has a similar dual 833A
coil.  He only has a 12" tall (i think) secondary (where as mine is 17"
tall of a thicker wire guage) and does not have insulation, and his coil
makes 24" sparks, with much tighter quarters between the secondary
potential, and the primary and grid coils. I realise the rubber is helping
the arc to creep, because it can arc farther over an insulator(rather than
air). Without my insulation there, it arced more easily (but than again, it
was a slightly different setup, i need to retest this).  So, i can only
propose that i raise the secondary up about 3", and loose some coupling.

IF anyone has ant suggestions to this new problem, i would like to hear
them,  Thanks guys.

Steve Ward.