Re: NST TEST GRAPHS (was NST power test)

)

 > Relevant for this "closer look" was, to verify, that the whole range of
 > operation of this NST can be represented with a single value of the
 > stray-inductance. I guess, sometimes it goes forgotten, that the nameplate
 > current of an NST is the short-circuit current, if not mentioned
otherwise.

and it's just the "nominal" short circuit current at that...

 > If extending tests, like the one of Richard Hull, carefully including
 > capacitive loads in the investigation may add to the value of the results
 > for TC-coilers. More elaborate models, including copper and iron losses
are
 > opened, when including a wattmeter in the investigations.

Using RC loads and measuring voltages essentially allows you to measure
watts...the reactive part of the load lets you differentiate reactive and
active power (with a bit of math and some possible measurement uncertainty),
and as you say, this might open up some interesting areas.

I think the real interesting part will be the behavior at the edge of
non-linearity.  Given that we tend to try to push the variac to "11", and
that we have a load which is very "non-neon-sign-like", it would be good to
get a feel for what happens when you start to saturate the core, for
instance. The simple model assumes an ideal transformer, and as you note, it
adequately models all the NSTs and their ilk (microwave oven transformers,
illumination transformers, There might be interesting things as we add in
the non-ideal aspects.  For instance, the magnetic path through the shunts
is different for the primary and secondary, so the fluxes in the two loops
can be conceivably different.  At saturation, this might lead to
"interesting" effects.